Kalpana Joshi, Ph.D
Business Address :
Professor and Director
Symbiosis School of Biomedical Sciences (SSBS)
Symbiosis International University (SIU)
Pune- 412 115, India.
- Translational and interdisciplinary research
- Experience in in vitro drug discovery, molecular biology, recombinant DNA technology, Animal tissue culture. Consultant to pharma companies.
- Recognized guide for Ph.D and post- graduate teaching at UoP
- Lupin Endowment Fellow at ICT (former UDCT) for the year 2010
- Member, Board of Studies in Biotechnology (Engg) in Pune University
- Invited speaker in international conferences in USA, Germany
- Government (Office of PSA, DST, ICMR/NIH) and private Grants
- One of the papers published in Elsevier's Prostaglandines Leukotriennes and Essential Fatty Acids and has been listed in Top Ten on Science Direct
1993 Ph.D in Biochemistry (Mol. Biol.) National Chemical Laboratory, Pune
CSIR JRF and SRF
1985 Master in Microbiology from M.S. University, Baroda (First Class)
1983 Bachelor of Science, Microbiology, University of Pune, (First Class)
June 2011 onwards
Professor and Director
Symbiosis School of Biomedical Sciences (SSBS)
Symbiosis International University (SIU), Pune- 411 115, INDIA
June 2007- June 2011
Professor and Head
Biotechnology (Engg.), Sinhgad Institute of Technology.
June 2005 – June 2007
Group Leader Biology; Lupin Research Park, Pune.
June 1997- June 2005
Interdisciplinary School of Health Sciences (ISHS) University of Pune, Pune- 411 038.
OVERALL ACHIEVEMENTS AT A GLANCE
- Principle investigator for the project "Functional genomics for understanding holistic principles of Ayurveda therapeutics with Asthma as a model." Presigious grant from Office of Principal Scientific Advisors through DST (Rs 48 Lakh) in collaboration with MAHE, Manipal (2010-2013)
- Principle investigator for the project "Genome variation analysis with special reference to Prakriti concept of Ayurveda" Presigious grant from Office of Principal Scientific Advisors through DST (Rs 78 Lakh) in collaboration with IISC, Bangalore, CCMB, Hyderabad, MAHE, Manipal (2007-2011)
- PI: Indo-US grant from NIH, USA through ICMR for research in collaboration with KEM Hospital, Pune and Cornell University: 2007-2010
- Visited South African Universities and gave talks under Indo-SA bilateral cooperation in Science and Technology through DST-Aug 2010
- Published > 25 papers in journals of repute.
- Symposia speaker at 9th IPMB congress in St Louis, USA (received DST international travel fellowship)
- Visiting Fellowship from Bremen University, Bremen, June 2008
- Participated in number of International Meetings in Biotechnology in U.S.A., and Europe to make scientific presentations
- Conducted several hands-on-training workshops in molecular biology, Immunology to contribute to Human Resource Development
- Consultant Centaur, Glenmark, Matrix, Orchids, Chennai
SALIENT FEATURES OF RESEARCH WORK
- Involved in various projects under the theme of "Translational interdisciplinary research" with special reference to traditional medicine or Ayurveda taking research from the "bench-to-bedside" by integrating advancements in molecular biology with clinical trials
- Ayugenomics: This novel project was conceived and developed to understand genomic basis of "Prakriti" concept of Ayurveda. Proof of concept study analyzing HLA and drug metabolizing enzyme gene polymorphism in Prakriti classes was published in JACM and presented at Pharmacogenomics conference at CSHL. Under the scheme "Science Initiatives in Ayurveda", the Office of Principal Scientific Advisors to Government of India, has initiated an ambitious project on Genomic variation analysis and gene expression profiling, using principles of Ayurveda. This initiative supports robust research with scientific precision, to further elucidate fundamental concepts of Ayurveda. Not only should it prove valuable in moving the field forward, it may well pioneer the trend for Ayugenomics and related traditional medicine research internationally and globally for coming decades. DST/PSA grant of 78 Lakhs: 2007-2011
- Functional genomics for understanding holistic principles of Ayurveda therapeutics with Asthma as a model: This project is sanctioned by by Office of PSA under the scheme A Science Initiative in Ayurveda (ASIIA). In this Epigenetic study, we intend to carry out the whole genome analysis to interrogate methylation modifications.Grant received: 50 Lakhs: 2010-2013
- Essential fatty acids and birth weight of infants. Part of this work was presented at ICMR meeting. Further work is now supported by NIH-ICMR under Indo-US MCHDR program in collaboration with Cornell University. This study is in collaboration with KEM Hospital, Pune where we collect cord blood to study lipidomic and gene expression. Study of PUFAs Metabolism at gene and fatty acid levels is one of the most relevant outcomes of ongoing study. This study is further supported by ICMR for follow-up study on the low birth weight cohort to further test the "Barker's hypothesis - fetal origin of adulthood diseases."
SALIENT FEATURES OF RESEARCH WORK DONE AT PHARMA R & D
- Lead immunology group with Drug discovery projects on arthritis, asthma, Cancer and psoriasis in Pharma R and D.
- Represented Company at ICMR for IND presentation for Phase II permission of anti-psoriatic molecule. Received approval for Phase II clinical trial
- Consultant Centaur, Glenmark, Matrix, Orchids, Chennai, Yew Savin, USA for drug discovery, cloning and expression of disease targets in various expression systems including mammalian, insect cell lines
- Pilot study on flax oil supplementation to ADHD children in collaboration with KEM hospital was conducted with private funding. This work is published in Prostaglandines Leukotriennes and Essential Fatty Acids and has been listed in Top Ten most cited paper by Elsevier Flax oil emulsion is patented with Centaur Pharma
SEMINARS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Symposia speaker at 9th IPMB Congress, St Louis, USA. Oct 2009
- Invited talk at NCBS, Bangalore on "Ayugenomics" Feb 23, 2009
- Invited for guest lecturer in IIT, Mumbai on Genomics, Jan 2009
- Talk at Bremen University on Molecular Markers in Herbal Drug standardization, November, 2008 Presented paper on Classification of human population based on Ayurvedic concept of "Prakruti". In: Conference on Pharmacogenomics, 2004 Nov at Cold Spring Harbor, USA.
- Invited speaker at Omega-3 lecture series at Division of Nutrition Sciences, Cornell University, USA.
- Participated as faculty in Pharma Biotechnology training workshops and Plant Molecular Biology Workshops at NCL. Given talks in ICMR, AICTE, DBT sponsored seminars and Science Congress Symposium.
List of Publications (Last five years)
- Profiling single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) across intracellular folate metabolic pathway in Indian (Asian) Healthy subjects. Accepted IJMR March-April 2011
- Traditional Medicine and Genomics, Yogita Ghodke, Pooja Shintre, Kalpana Joshi, Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine: 2010, vol1, 29-35
- CYP2C19 gene Polymorphism associated with the metabolic variability in major constitutions described in Ayurveda Traditional Medicine to Modern Pharmacogenomics:. Yogita Ghodke, Kalpana Joshi and Bhushan Patwardhan. eCAM Advance Access published on December 16, 2009. doi:10.1093/ecam/nep206
- Genetic basis to concept of Prakruti: Correspondence, Bhushan Patwardhan, Kalpana Joshi, Yogita Ghodke, Current Science (2006) 90(7), 896
- Classification of Human Population Based on HLA Gene Polymorphism and the Concept of Prakriti in Ayurveda, Bhushan Patwardhan, Kalpana Joshi and Arvind Chopra, The Journal Of Alternative And Complementary Medicine (2005) 11; (2) 349-353
- Ghodke Yogita, Chopra Arvind, Joshi Kalpana, K, Patwardhan, B. Pharmacogenomics of MTX response in RA. Clin Rheumatol. 2008;27(6):787-9
- Ghodke Yogita, Chopra Arvind, Joshi Kalpana, Satyamoorthy, K, Patwardhan, B. Are TS (Thymydilate synthase) and MTHFR (methylenetetrahydrfolate reductase) genes linked with Methotrexate (MTX) response (Efficacy, toxicity) in Indian (Asian) rheumatoid arthritis ?. Arthritis and Rheumatism, (In press,2008).
- Ghodke Yogita , Joshi Kalpana, Arya Yashendra, Radkar Anjali, Chiplunkar Aditi , Shintre Pooja and Bhushan Patwardhan Genetic polymorphism of CYP2C19 in Maharashtrian population. Eur J Epidemiol. DOI 10.1007/s10654-007-9196-0
- Ghodke Yogita , Joshi Kalpana, Arya Yashendra, Radkar Anjali, Chiplunkar Aditi, Shintre Pooja and Bhushan Patwardhan Genetic polymorphism of CYP2C19 in Maharashtrian population. Eur J Epidemiol. 2007, 22(12):907-15
- HLA and Disease: Trends and Associations, Yogita Ghodke, Kalpana Joshi, Arvind Chopra, Bhushan Patwardhan, European Journal of Epidemiology (2005) 20: 475–488
- Traditional Phytochemistry:Identification of Drug by Taste, Kalpana Joshi , Alex Hankey , and Bhushan Patwardhan, eCAM Advance Access published October 5, 2006
- DNA microarrays in herbal drug research, Preeti Chavan, Kalpana Joshi, Bhushan Patwardhan eCAM (2006) 3: 447-457
- Birth Weight and Gestational Age Of Indian Neonates Are Independently Associated with Their Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Status, Kalpana Joshi, Maithili Gadgil, Bhushan Patwardhan, Sheela Bhave, Ashish Bavdekar, Anand Pandit and J. Thomas Brenna. Accepted AJCN
- PUFA Biotechnology, Dnyaneshwar Warude, Kalpana Joshi, Abhay Harsulkar, Critical Reviews in Biotechnology (2006) Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, 26 (2), 83 - 93 Impact Factor 3.2 (2004)
- Supplementation with flax oil and Vitamins C improves the outcome of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Kalpana Joshi, Sagar Lad, Mrudula Kale, Bhushan Patwardhan, Sahebrao P. Mahadik, Bindu Patni, Arti Chaudhary, Sheila Bhave and Anand Pandit, Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids (2006) 74, 17-21
- Transcutaneous Absorption of Topically Massaged Oil in Neonates, Kirti Solanki, Manoj Matnani, Mrudula Kale, Kalpana Joshi, Ashish Bavdekar, Sheila Bhave and Anand Pandit, Indian Pediatrics (2005) 42, 998-1005
- Gold Nanoparticles as Carriers for Efficient Transmucosal Insulin Delivery, Hrushikesh M. Joshi, Devika R. Bhumkar, Kalpana Joshi, Varsha Pokharkar, & Murali Sastry, Langmuir 2006 22, 300 –305
- Transformation studies in bacterial systems using gold nanoparticles, Prajakta S. Karekar, Radhika S. Ganu, Akhilesh Rai, Kalpana S. Joshi, , Murali Sastry, Advances in Engineering Science, Sect. C (1), January-March 2008, PP 23-28
- Cinnamomum zeylanicum extract inhibits pro-inflammatory cytokine TNF-alpha: in vitro and in vivo studies, Sameer. S. Walunj, Shyam Awte, Rajesh Gupta, Sushma Sabharwal, S. P. Joshi, Sarang Bani and Kalpana Joshi, Research in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology. Accepted 2009
- Cinnamon Extract Recruits Peroxisome Proliferator Activated Receptor-or Coactivator1 PGC-1α) and SRC1 to PPAR receptor, Rajesh Gupta, Sameer. S. Walunj, Shyam Awte, Sushma Sabharwal, S. P. Joshi and Kalpana Joshi,J. Health Sci: Accepted 2009
- RAPD Analysis for Determination of Components in Herbal Medicine V. M. Shinde, K. Dhalwal K. R. Mahadik, K. S. Joshi2 and B. K. Patwardhan, eCAM 2007;4(S1)21–23
- Chavan P, Warude D, Joshi K, Patwardhan B. Development of SCAR marker as a complementary tool for identification of Zingiber officinale Roscoe from crude drug and multi-component formulation. Biotechnol Appl Biochem. 2008, 50-61-69
- Development and application of RAPD- SCAR marker for identification of Phyllanthus emblica Linn. Dnyaneshwar, Chavan Preeti, Joshi Kalpana, Patwardhan Bhushan, Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin 29: 2313-2316, 2006.